Reports & Previews

Cape Town City 0-2 Polokwane City

Polokwane City booked their place in the MTN8 semi-finals after recording a 2-0 victory over defending champions Cape Town City at Newlands Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Rise and Shine opened their account in the 25th minute through Mohammed Anas and doubled their advantage in the closing stages of the second stanza as Charlton Mashumba curled the ball home to put the result beyond doubt.

The home side started the match on the front foot and enjoyed plenty of possession in the opening 15 minutes, with midfielder Craig Martin in particular looking dangerous on the ball.

And, after a brief lull in play, the match sprang back to life in the 20th minute when Thato Mokeke let loose from range, but his shot was parried behind for a corner.

The Citizens were made to rue that missed opportunity as Polokwane went on to claim the lead against the run of play, Mohammed Anas curling the ball into the bottom corner after losing his marker.

City thought they had found a way back to get back on level terms when midfielder Gift Links was fouled in the penalty area on the half hour mark, only for the assistant referee to raise his flag for offside.

The hosts had one last notable chance in the first half when Zukile Kewuti fired at goal in the 35th minute, but his shot was deflected behind, with the resulting corner kick coming to nothing.

Cape Town city were unable to replicate their bright start after the half-time break but were handed a lifeline in the 61st minute when Peter Leeuwenburgh saved Sbusiso Mbonani's spot-kick after Anas was brought down in the penalty area.

However, City were unable to muster a response, and Polokwane again went close to adding a second goal when Mpho Mvelase headed just wide of goal on 70 minutes.

Rise and Shine didn't let up, and they eventually got the break through they were looking for when substitute Mashumba slotted a curling effort in the back of the net in the 84th minute.

The Citizens were unable to recover from that setback as they failed to test an obstinate Polokwane defence in the remaining minutes, barring Edmilson's 90th minute effort which was chalked off for offside.