Sundowns 0-2 Supersport United

Supersport United secured a 2-0 win over Sundowns in a Tshwane derby at Loftus Versfeld on Wednesday evening.

Kaitano Tembo's side move within one point of their Pretoria neighbours, who saw their title hopes take a massive knock.

The Brazilians had the first opportunity of the match with a quarter of an hour gone. Grant Kekana intercepted a Themba Zwane through-ball and his poor first-touch allowed Emiliano Tade to pounce but the former Amazulu striker could only hit a tame shot straight at Ronwen Williams.

This seemed to spark Supersport in to action as Aubrey Modiba shimmied his way in to the box but he could only direct his effort down the middle which was comfortably saved by Kennedy Mweene.

In the 23rd minute, Matsatsantsa captain Dean Furman almost cost his side when he gifted the ball to Themba Zwane deep inside his own half. After Zwane's shot was blocked by Clayton Daniels, the ball fell kindly to Tade, but another poor effort from the Argentine trickled harmlessly wide of the right-hand post.

Indeed, Tade was particularly guilty of not having his scoring his boots on and Pitso Mosimane's side were punished for not taking their chances when Supersport took the lead against the run of play on the half-hour mark. Aubrey Modiba floated in a corner and Kekana escaped his marker before heading the ball down and in to the left-hand corner with the ball going in off the upright on its way in.

Masandawana had a chance in the 43rd minute to level matters but Tade could only hit the side netting from a tight angle as Mosimane's side went in to the break trailing at 1-0.

On the hour mark, Modiba's long ball from a free-kick played Bradley Grobler in behind the defence and he made good connection from a tight angle, which forced Mweene in to a smart save low down to his right.

Mosimane shook things up shortly afterwards, bringing on Jeremy Brockie for Tade to freshen up a side that looked jaded from that gruelling trip to Egypt on the weekend.

Matsatsantsa had done brilliantly all game to nullify their opponents' attacking threat. And with ten minutes to go, they doubled the lead and ultimately put the result beyond doubt.

Jamie Webber delivered a ball in to the box for Grobler, whose first touch was good before releasing Gamphani Lungu, with the substitute rifling his effort in to the roof of the net to seal the three points.