Latest News

Chiefs and Pirates share the spoils

Kaizer Chiefs were perhaps unfortunate not to pick up all three points as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Orlando Pirates in Saturday's Premiership game at FNB Stadium.

Chiefs started well and managed to create an opening as Khama Billiat got behind the Pirates defence, yet his strike from a narrow angle was parried to safety by Wayne Sandilands at his near post.

Bucs were next to threaten as Ben Motshwari broke through on goal down the middle with the chance to hit a shot. However, Teenage Hadebe came racing across to make a fine goal-saving block on his strike.

There was a scary moment in the first half as Sandilands came out to punch a ball. Bernard Parker got ahead of him with his head and the ball went into the side-netting. With that said, there was a huge collision where the keeper seemed to be knocked out.

Nonetheless, he showed guts by dusting himself off to continue in goal for the away side.

It was again the Sea Robbers who spurned another opportunity when Vincent Pule's cross from the left flank was missed by Justin Shonga, when any contact may have resulted in a goal.

The game became scrappy thereafter with few chances in the final third and it ended 0-0 at half-time.

After the break, the action was once again fractious though the first goal arrived in the 54th minute through an error by Asavela Mbekile.

He was dispossessed by Khama Billiat who ran towards goal from the left flank. Mbekile charged back and was adjudged to have brought down the Zimbabwe star in the box, though it appeared harsh.

Daniel Cardoso stepped up to slot home the penalty beyond Sandilands. Bernard Parker not long afterwards struck over the bar as Pirates struggled to create openings.

It took until the 71st minute before the visitors registered a strike on target, highlighting their frustrations.

Out of nowhere in the 80th minute Ben Motshwari played a pass through an eye of a needle, before Thembinkosi Lorch ran around Daniel Akpeyi to slot home with confidence.

It ended 1-1 on the day as there was no further action in the closing stages.